By Adele Annesi

Word for Words is by author Adele Annesi. For Adele's website, visit Adele Annesi.

Monday, April 5, 2010

Wrong or Write: On Organization and Inspiration

Lauren Salkin is a writer, blogger and satirist whose musings blow open the doors of traditional thoughts on writing. This week, Lauren posts on organization, procrastination and inspiration. It's sometimes hard to tell the difference.

On organization:
"Every time I sit down at the computer a message scrolls across my brain, 'Clean out the closet!' I used to think it was a deterrent, but in fact it was a well disguised metaphor. My subconscious realized something my consciousness didn't. Cleaning out a closet is a lot like writing: getting rid of unnecessary items, and then arranging clothing, shoes and accessories into some type of accessible order."

"Even though words aren't color-coordinated or seasonal like a story, a closet has protagonists: new clothes and antagonists: old clothes. The new clothes taunt the old clothes, as do the plastic dry cleaning bags that are annoying and noisy when handled. Sometimes, plastic sticks to my hand, reminding me that I need to pay attention to the clothing inside."

For more musings from the gravitational pull of the mind, visit Lauren's blog, Think Spin.

No comments: