Small critique groups (or one on one) done face to face are like dating. Whom do you know with these qualities:
- Willing to put time and effort into evaluating and analyzing
- Is well-read in various genres
- Has some familiarity and experience in your genre
- Knows and pays attention to various aspects of a story (plot, tone, voice, characters)
- Addresses the critique as art and science
- Has writing and/or editing credits
- Is trustworthy with your work and has your best interest at heart
- How long have you been doing this?
- Whom have you worked with?
- What genres do you work in?
- What's your professional background, and where has your work been published?
- What's the fee structure?
Tip: Meet informally first, maybe with a sample of work to critique, and leave yourself room to opt out.