|A story's title reveals its heart|
Here's how to find your title (and possibly your real story):
- As you reread your work, what word or phrase stands out, and why?
- Does it capture what is or should be the essence of the piece?
- If so, how?
- Does the story change with the new title?
- If so, in what way(s)?
- Is the title original without being flashy and detracting from the story instead of substantiating it?
- Does the title reveal the heart of the work without giving too much away?
What story are you working on whose title you're unsure of?
For more tips, visit my online workshop, Word for Words.